In the world of digital cameras, Canon has been one of the top companies for many years, led by its well-known PowerShot and Rebel brand lines of Canon cameras. According to a Techno Systems Research report, Canon cameras led the world in cameras manufactured in 2007, with 25.2 million units, a market share of 19.2%.
Canon was founded in 1937 in Tokyo, Japan. Canon has several group companies around the world, led by Canon USA in the United States. Canon USA is headquartered in Lake Success, N.Y.
Canon's first digital compact camera was the RC-701, sold for the first time in July 1986. From there, Canon has manufactured hundreds of different digital camera models, including the famous PowerShot line of cameras aimed at beginning users.
For intermediate and advanced photographers, the company has sold more than 14 million digital single-lens reflex (SLR) cameras and more than 53 million SLR film and digital cameras since selling its first SLR model in 1959. Canon introduced the Rebel line of SLR digital cameras in 2003, another famous line of cameras.
Canon has been the industry leader with a few different SLR product innovations, including:
- The first SLR camera with a built-in computer processing unit (CPU) chip, the AE-1 model in 1976.
- The first auto-focus SLR with electronic control for the entire system, the Canon EOS 650 model in 1987.
- The first digital SLR to offer high-definition digital video recording, the 5D Mark II in 2008.
Today's Canon OfferingsCanon currently makes digital cameras for both the SLR and consumer markets.
- SLR. The low-end of Canon's SLR camera line consists of Rebel models, usually ranging in price from about $600-$1,000. At the top end of Canon's SLR models are the Mark II and Mark III cameras, usually ranging in price from about $2,500 to $8,000.
- Consumer. For consumers, Canon offers high-end point-and-shoot models in the G and S model lines, ranging from about $300-$500. The Digital ELPH models are small and stylish point-and-shoot cameras, usually ranging from $200-$400. The A model lines are the easiest to use, running from disposable batteries and ranging from $100-$250.
- Related products. Canon also offers compact photo printers, photo inkjet printers, large-format inkjet printers, digital camcorders, photo scanners, film scanners, and negative scanners. Canon sells many digital camera accessories for its models through its Web site, including lenses, batteries, AC adapters, battery chargers, flash units, memory cards, remote shutters, and camera bags, among many other items.