To ensure the best performance from your digital camera, it pays to have the latest version of the camera's firmware. Camera makers release camera firmware updates occasionally, designed to fix problems or improve performance.
Firmware is the basic software used to operate the camera that's installed at the time the camera is manufactured. Firmware controls the most basic functions of the camera, such as what the camera should do when the power button is pressed.
A firmware update could fix a software-related problem that's causing the camera to be unable to connect with a computer, for example.
Use these tips to find camera firmware updates.
- First, find your camera manufacturer's Web site. Make sure to jump to the Web site that matches your home country.
- Second, find a Support button or tab. Most Web sites will list "Support" or "Service" across the top of the home page. With other sites, you may have to click on a Camera button or tab to find tech support for digital cameras.
- Third, you'll need to know the model name and number for your digital camera. You may have to click through a few different screens or menus to find your model.
- Fourth, once you reach the page for your model of camera, you may find a "Firmware," "Drivers," or "Downloads" tab or button in addition to the Support tab.
- Fifth, you'll probably need to select the operating system that you use with your computer.
- At this point, the Web site should let you know whether any new camera firmware updates are available. If the manufacturer's site says no new firmware updates for your camera are available, that means that your camera has the proper version of the firmware. Manufacturers typically only release new versions of firmware when a problem occurs with the original firmware.
- If a firmware update is listed, click on the link to download it to your computer. The Web site should have instructions for uploading it to your camera and installing the firmware. The new firmware should automatically overwrite the old firmware, and, hopefully, your problems will be solved.